Long-Stay Schengen D-Visa

Long-Stay Schengen D-Visa

Visa applications for visits of over 90 days in the Schengen area.

Click below to get started.

Important Travel Document Information – Please Read

The Long-stay Schengen Visa Type D is known as a national visa. Anyone who wants to study, work, or live in a Schengen country for more than 90 days must have one (up to 1 year). It lets its holder travel and stay in the Schengen area for the full duration of it’s validity.

National D-Visa Travel Purposes

  • Travel for business or pleasure
  • Activities related to work
  • School/study, participate in a training program, or do an internship
  • Family reasons

To start your application process, please click below.

National D-Visa

The consular authorities of the intended Schengen country give out the national visa, or type D visa, which is based on national law. So, getting in touch with the country’s services is essential to learn about the different rules and requirements that need to be met. It can be given as either a single-entry or a multiple-entry Long-stay visa, depending on certain conditions.

Even if you have a long-stay visa, you can’t just go to the Schengen area. You have to follow the rules for travel.

Biometric Exemptions

The following applicants won’t have to give fingerprints for a Long-Stay Schengen D-Visa:

  • children younger than 12 years old;
  • people whose fingerprints can’t be taken because of how they look;
  • heads of state or government, members of national governments with their spouses, and members of their official delegations when they are invited for an official purpose by the governments of Member States or by international organizations;
  • Sovereigns and other high-ranking members of a royal family when they are invited for an official purpose by the governments of Member States or by international organizations.

Documents Required For Long-Stay D-Visas

All applicants must show the following documents:

  • a valid travel document that was issued within the last ten years has at least two blank pages for visas, and is still valid for at least three months after the visa expires;
  • an application form that can be filled out online, printed, and signed at the end of each page and the end of the form;
  • a photo (size 35×45 mm);
  • an insurance policy that covers medical costs if you get sick or hurt during the time your visa is valid, or, if you have a multiple-entry visa, until the end of your first planned stay;


 Additional Documents showing the purpose of the trip, such as: 

A letter of confirmation from the host,

A diplomatic note or letter of confirmation from the intertern

Joining a member of the family

  • an invitation letter from the family member with a copy of the data page of the family member’s passport and/or residence permit;
  • proof of family ties (birth or marriage certificates that were issued outside the EU must be apostilled or legalized);
  • documents confirm financial means (e.g., bank statements for the past 3-6 months).

Employment for a short time

  • Registration/work confirmation for short-term work.


  • an official, signed letter from the school saying that the applicant has been accepted (with the applicant’s name, type of studies, number of classes (hours) per week, and record of attendance);
  • Exchange students need to show confirmation from the school where they are currently enrolled;
  • documents confirm financial means (e.g., bank statements for the past 3-6 months)

Teleworking (Digital nomad visa)

  • Proof that the applicant’s job doesn’t depend on where they work and that he or she can do their job using telecommunications technology;
  • proof that the applicant continues to:
  • working for an employer who is registered in a foreign country and with whom they have a contract;
  • doing business for a company that is registered in a foreign country and in which they have shared;
  • mainly providing services to customers whose business is in another country and with whom they have a contract;
  • documents showing the applicant’s legal income for the six months before the application, including the amount, how often it came in, and where it came from;
  • a list of courses taken and jobs held (CV);
  • a letter from the applicant explaining why they want to use the visa to work from home;
  • a written statement from the applicant’s employer saying that he or she can do their job duties by teleworking;
  • a contract of employment or another contract governed by the law of obligations;
  • a certificate from a government agency in the applicant’s home country that shows they have paid any state taxes, local taxes, or social security contributions that are required in their home country;
  • a certificate from the company’s country of registered office that shows the company’s name, registered office, and area of business, as well as the applicant’s stake in the company and information about the company’s legal representatives;
  • a certificate from a competent authority in the country where the company is registered showing that all state taxes, local taxes, or social security contributions that are required in the country where the company is registered have been paid and that there are no tax arrears;
  • any other paperwork.

At the request of a consular officer, you must go to the Embassy or Consulate in person to answer questions about facts important to your visa application.

For detailed information on specific parts of the EU visa process, you can refer to the links below to find the answer to your query. If you are unable to find any detailed information, please contact us via email.

New business startup

  • A letter from the Startup Committee confirms that the business qualifies as a startup or that the business is taking part in a qualified accelerator program.
  • documents confirm financial means (e.g., bank statements for the past 3-6 months).

People Also Asked

national long-stay visas (D visas) and residence permits valid for longer than 90 days Article. For visits longer than 90 days, a national visa (D visa) may be utilised to get a residence permit.

Visa Applicationsinformation centre

Copyright © 2023 . All rights reserved.

All visa applicants are responsible for the accuracy of their visa application forms and must carefully consider the requirements set out in the visa application forms and complete all application forms fully and truthfully and provide correct and accurate information and documentation in support of their visa. Visa-Applications.org is a private company and is not affiliated with any government body. All processing of your visa documentation will be carried out by a professionally qualified 3rd party legal entity. Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited. Visa Applications Ltd – 11887108.

It is necessary to use/accept cookies on this site to process your application.

NOTE, we do not use tracking or advertising cookies or provide your details to 3rd parties. For more information please refer to our .