Important Travel Document Information – Please Read
German citizens can get an ESTA for short stays in the USA. This is usually the first option for people in Germany, non-German citizens can apply for the B1 B2 visa for business / tourism visits. However, you should check precisely what visa type you need when travelling from Germany to the USA.
The B1/B2 Visa is a non-immigrant visa from Germany to the USA that temporarily permits foreign citizens to visit the United States. B1 visas are for business reasons, whereas B2 visas are for tourism. If you travel from Germany to the USA, you might need to apply for a B1/B2 Visa.
Types of Visas from Germany to the USA
- ESTA – For a short stay of up to 90 days
- B1 visa – Business travelers
- B2 visa – Tourist travelers
- B1/B2 Visa – Business/Tourist travelers
If you are a citizen of a visa waiver nation, then you are eligible for an ESTA for short stays of up to 90 days.
ESTA Visa’s for German citizens
German citizens that need a visa from Germany to the USA can apply for an ESTA visa waiver (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation) to travel to the United States. The ESTA permits German nationals to visit the United States without a visa for vacation, business, medical, and short-term study reasons for up to 90 days each visit.
German citizens must apply for ESTA online. Applying for an ESTA at least 72 hours before departure is necessary prior to boarding an aircraft or ship bound for the United States. The ESTA application must be submitted with a valid, unexpired electronic passport. Before beginning their ESTA application, applicants may examine the comprehensive ESTA criteria as well as the ESTA Frequently Asked Questions for additional information.
An accepted ESTA application does not provide German nationals with the same privileges as U.S. visa holders. A visa applicant for the United States must submit the Visa application form and attend an interview at a U.S. consulate or embassy. In addition, depending on the kind of visa, applicants may be required to provide further proof of the authenticity of their travel intentions and reasons for visiting the United States prior to entering the country.
B1 Visa's for German citizens
A B1 visa is used to acquire temporary, non-immigrant entrance into the United States for business purposes. If you are involved in commercial or professional activities, a B1 visa is most suitable for you. Additionally, you may travel for the following reasons:
Please note this is not an exhaustive list.
The B2 visa is mostly used for tourism, making it one of the most prevalent U.S. visas.
This permit is valid for the following leisure activities:
- Meet with close friends, family members, or relatives.
- Medical attention.
- Participation in social activities organised by social or humanitarian organizations.
- Participating as amateurs in musicals, sports, or similar events or contests if they are not rewarded.
Participation in a short course of study for recreational reasons, but not for degree credit (for example, a two-day cooking class while on vacation).
Consultation with partners in the company.
Administrating an inheritance.
Participating in a brief training session.
Persons holding a B1 visa are authorized to travel through the United States.
Certain aircrew personnel may enter the United States as deadhead crew with a B-1 visa.
B1 B2 Visa's for German citizens
The B1/B2 Visa is a non-immigrant visa that permits foreign citizens to temporarily visit the United States.
B1 visas are for commercial purposes, whereas B2 visas are for tourism. In some instances, the US embassy will grant a B1/B2 visa instead of a B1 visa. As a consequence, you will not need a second B2 visa. Numerous travelers visiting the United States are required to possess a B1 B2 Visa. It is crucial to keep in mind that an interview with the U.S. embassy may be necessary in the majority of circumstances (for example, if the applicant is applying for a U.S. visa for the first time).
How do I apply for a US visa from Germany?
There are only a few simple steps to take when first applying for a Visa from Germany to the USA.
- Complete the form, also known as the Electronic Nonimmigrant Visa Application.
- Pay the application cost for a visa.
- ‘You must attend an appointment at one of the U.S. Embassies in Germany to submit your documents. You will be guided on this as part of the application process.’
- Visit the U.S. Embassy or Consulate on your scheduled visa interview day and time. You must bring a printed copy of your appointment letter, your DS-160 confirmation page, a picture taken within the last six months, and all of your passports, including your current and previous ones. Applications lacking these components will not be approved.
Required Documents for entering the US
All foreign visitors to the United States are required to provide a valid passport upon entry (regardless of their country of citizenship). Permanent residents and foreign nationalities may also need a visa to enter the United States. You must apply for a visa before your departure.
In conjunction with your travel permission and on the day of your admission, you will be asked to submit additional questions, applications, and paperwork. You must satisfy the following prerequisites to enter the United States:
- Your passport or Green Card is valid.
- You have a valid ESTA or US visa that matches the information in your passport (not applicable to Green Card holders).
- You do not constitute a danger to the United States or its citizens.
- You are not prohibited from admission.
- At the time of entrance, you possess the needed vaccines or belong to one of the exemption categories.
- You do not express a desire to immigrate (not applicable to Green Card holders) (not applicable to Green Card holders).
- After a short interview, U.S. Customs and Border Protection border officials determine that you are admissible to enter the United States.
Other documents for US entry
You will be required to supply personal information shortly after booking your ticket so that US officials may check your eligibility to enter the country.
When entering the United States, border authorities may request extra papers in addition to your passport and ESTA or visa. These consist of:
- Evidence of adequate financial resources (e.g., bank statements).
- Tickets for return or further travel.
- Health documentation (e.g., if carrying medication or exhibiting conspicuous behaviour)
- Documentation demonstrating your visa purpose (e.g., student enrollment), Employment contracts, pension notifications, rental agreements, and other evidence of links to your native country are acceptable.
- At the United States border, immigration authorities will determine your admissibility to enter the nation. Be kind and composed throughout the interview, and adhere to all directions.
For detailed information on specific parts of the USA visa process, you can refer to the links in the table to find the answer to your query. If you are unable to find any particular information, please contact us via email.
For detailed information on specific parts of the USA visa process, you can refer to the links below to find the answer to your query. If you are unable to find any particular information, please contact us via email.please contact us via email.
|USA Visa News|
|USA Visa Fees|
|USA Visa Types|
|How to submit a Visa Application|
Other USA Visa Types
How can I apply for US visa from Germany?
- Complete our online form.
- Pay the visa application fee.
- Schedule your appointment.
- You will need the following information in order to schedule your appointment:
Visit the U.S. Embassy or Consulate on the date and time of your visa interview.
People Also Asked
The processing time for visa applications (short stay) takes up to 15 days. If long-term residence permits or visa for employment in Germany are applied for, the processing time will be up to several months.
Depending on your age or if you are renewing a previous U.S. visa, you may be entitled to apply for a visa without an interview. Applications for the ESTA visa waiver program do not require any in-person attendance.