To study at an educational institution in the UK, you need the Tier 4 Student Visa. It lets you study and live there for the length of your course, plus 4 months. The Tier 4 visa has now been replaced by the general ‘Student Visa.’

Students who have been accepted onto a study course at an educational institution in the UK will require a visa. You must demonstrate proof of adequate funds to support yourself and pay for your course without seeking help from the government. You must also show proficiency in English.

What is a general student visa? 

The Tier 4 (General) Student Visa allows you to live and study in the United Kingdom, and if you satisfy the relevant requirements, you can work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and full-time during the summer. You may also be permitted to bring your immediate family with you to school.

Is there an age limit on the general student visa?

There is no upper age limit for student visa applications. If you’ve been offered a place on a course and are 16 or older, you can apply for a Tier 4 General student visa to study in the UK. You must ensure you have the correct visa for your reason of study.

When To Apply

This depends on whether you are currently in the UK or not. If you are applying from outside of the UK, you can apply as early as 6 months prior to the start date of your course. If you are already in the UK, the earliest you can apply is 3 months before the start of your course. The course you intend to study must begin within 28 days of your existing visas expiry date. The earlier you submit your application the better chance of it arriving in time for your studies. It is important you allow yourself enough time to have your application processed before coming to the UK.


What is a Tier 4 Student Visa for the United Kingdom?

The most common visa type for UK students is the Tier 4 Student Visa. People taking a course at a school in the UK require it. It lets you study and live there, in the UK, for the time of your course plus 4 months. To be eligible, you’ll need to show that you have money and can speak good English.

The ‘Tier 4 Student Visa’ has now been replaced by the general ‘Student Visa’.

How Long Can You Stay?

Usually, you can stay in the UK for up to 5 years if you are 18 or older and your school is at the degree level. If it’s not a degree, you can usually stay in the UK for up to 2 years.

Visa Applicationsinformation centre

Copyright © 2023 . All rights reserved.

All visa applicants are responsible for the accuracy of their visa application forms and must carefully consider the requirements set out in the visa application forms and complete all application forms fully and truthfully and provide correct and accurate information and documentation in support of their visa. is a private company and is not affiliated with any government body. All processing of your visa documentation will be carried out by a professionally qualified 3rd party legal entity. Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited. Visa Applications Ltd – 11887108.

It is necessary to use/accept cookies on this site to process your application.

NOTE, we do not use tracking or advertising cookies or provide your details to 3rd parties. For more information please refer to our .