Standard Visitor Visa UK

Standard Visitor Visa UK

Get Started On A Standard Visitor Visa UK
Choose between 6 months to 10 years duration

Click Below Start An Application

Important Travel Document Information – Please Read

In this article we look at the requirements for a UK Standard Visitor Visa.

The UK Standard Visitor Visa is a 6 month short-stay visa. It allows the holder to live in the UK. That said embasses do have the ability to issue a visa for a shorter period of time. With Standard Visitor Visa, you can enter the UK for tourism, business, study, (up to six-month courses).

In some cases you may be able to ask for an extension of your stay, such as receiving medical treatment.

If you are in the following categories, you may apply for a UK Standard Visitor Visa:

  • Traveling to the UK for a holiday or to visit family or friends.
  • Volunteering for up to 30 days with a recognised charity.
  • Passing through the UK on your way to another nation
  • Attending a conference, meeting, training, seminar, or interview in the UK
  • Deals and contracts are negotiated and signed.

What exactly is a Standard UK Visitor Visa?

The UK Standard Visitor Visa is for travllers who wish to visit the UK. This Visa grants you stay for brief length of time. This visa is valid for up to six months. Which provides enough time to explore the UKs culture and heritage. Conduct business and academic affairs, or get private medical care.

You can apply for visa a number of reasons, including:

  • Short-term business purposes
  • Academic reasons
  • Private medical care

What Should I Know About the United Kingdom Standard Visitor Visa?

There is no need to apply for a Visitor Visa if you are a citizen of a restricted group of nations. This includes the countries of the EEA, many Commonwealth nations, and Switzerland. Here on the Home Office website, you can complete the examination to see if you require a Visitor Visa.

The Standard Visitor Visa permits the holder to:

  • Participate in commercial activities connected to your visa
  • Study for a maximum of 30 days (provided this is not the primary purpose of your visit)
  • Participate in an exchange programme or academic visit
  • Transform a civil partnership into a wedding
  • Pass through the United Kingdom

The UK Standard Visitor Visa is intended for person/s entering the Uk for a number of reasons. Its not just tourism or leisure. 

  • No paid or unpaid work is to be undertook.
  • You cannot receiving public funds.
  • Marrying or registering a civil partnership is not permitted.
  • You are prohibited from engaging in paid or unpaid work 
  • You cannot reside in the UK for extended periods of time through regular visits with a Visitor Visa.

You can visit the UK as a Standard Visitor in the following reasons:

  • Tourism, such as a holiday or vacation.
  • Visit family and friends.
  • To volunteer with a registered charity for up to 30 days.
  • Travel through the UK on your way to another country (in transit).
  • For business reasons, such as attending a meeting or interview.
  • Take part in a programme of school exchange.
  • Enrol in a 30-day recreational course, such as a dance class.
  • Study, complete a placement, or sit for an examination.
  • As a professor, senior physician, or dentist.
  • For medicinal reasons.

The Standard Visitor Visa replaced the below British visas:

Visa for Family Visitor General Visitor Visa Visa for Child Visitors
Business Visitor Visa Visa for Sports Visitors Entertainer Visitor Visa
Prospective Entrepreneur Visa Visa for Private Medical Treatment Approved Destination Status Visa

You must also apply for the Standard Visitor Visa if you plan to study in the United Kingdom for a brief amount of time or if you need to transit through the nation.

Visitor Visa Eligibility

In order to apply for a Visitor Visa, you must meet the requirements in place. This is the same on matter which Visitor Visa method you choose.

This consists of:

  • Show that you will leave the UK at the end of your stay
  • Have enought money to maintain yourself and any dependents for the duration of your stay.
  • Show the ability to pay for your return/onward journey
  • Be able to provide specifics about any business or other activity you want to do in the UK.
  • Visiting the UK for Tourism or Recreation

If you wish to visit the UK as a tourist, you should apply for a Visitor Visa. The Standard Visitor Visa is essentially a tourist visa. Allowing you to explore the UK for up to six months. Whether you are visiting the UKfor tourism or to see relatives, the UK Visitor Visa is the way to go.

Visiting the United Kingdom for Business

If you want to visit the UK for a business trip. You must apply for a UK Standard Visitor Visa. This covers corporate conferences, events, and other professional meetings.

You can also apply for a Visitor Visa for the following business-related reasons:

  • Accompanying students on an international study programme.
  • A clinical attachment or observation role as a physician or dentist.
  • Gain financing to launch, acquire, or join a business.
  • Participating in a specific sporting event.
  • Performing as an artist, musician, or entertainment in the UK.
  • Taking part in intellectual pursuits, particularly research.
  • In order to take the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board examination or the Objective Structured Clinical Examination.

What Are the Requirements for Obtaining a Standard Visitor Visa to the United Kingdom?

To apply for a UK Standard Visit Visa, you must provide the following information:

Your reasons for visiting the UK. This will depend on your reasons, such as business, family, or pleasure travel.

  • You will be need to provide evidence that you intend to leave the UK within six months.
  • Have sufficient funds to accommodate yourself and your dependents in the UK without relying on public assistance.
  • That you can pay for your return or continuation of travel.
  • If you will be visiting for business, you must ensure that you will only engage in allowed.

Please note that there are extra criteria if you are seeking to study or take an exam, or for academic, medical, or dental purposes.

For instance. If you are a doctor taking the PLAB exam. You will be required to provide a letter from the General Medical Council confirming your PLAB test registration. If you are visiting the UK for medical reasons. You will be required to provide evidence that you have made arrangements for consultations or treatment. That you have sufficient funds to pay for your treatment and that you will leave the country once your treatment is complete oryour visa expires, and that you are not a dissenter.

How Do I Apply for a Standard Visitor Visa to the UK?

Online applications for a UK Standard Visitor Visa are accepted from all countries except North Korea.

Your local Visa Application Centre will collect your biometric information, such as fingerprints and pictures.

If you need to modify or cancel your application.

The provision of erroneous or inconsistent information in the visa application or the submission of such papers in support of the application is one of the leading causes of UK If, after submitting your application but before attending the biometric appointment, you discover or it is revealed that you have provided incorrect or inconsistent information, depending on the severity, you can either cancel the application by logging into the online application portal (link is provided when starting and submitting the application) and submitting a new application form, or you can provide the correct information in a cover letter.

Depending on the severity, you can either contact UK Visas and Immigration by visiting:

Contact UK Visas and Immigration for support – GOV.UK ( and submit the right information, or you can cancel the application by visiting Cancel your application – GOV.UK 



Standard Visitor Visa Extension

It is possible to apply in-country for a UK Standard Visitor visa extension. However, you must demonstrate that compelling and humanitarian circumstances prevent your return prior to the expiration of your Visitor Visa. For instance, you fall gravely ill during your stay in the United Kingdom and have been receiving private care to recover.

Additionally, if you entered the United Kingdom for medical purposes and your treatment as not finished as scheduled you can apply for an extension.

If you are an academic requesting an extension for research purposes, you. must demonstrate that you still meet the academic eligibility requirements and provide reasons.
Additionally, it is possible to extend your UK Standard Visit visa if you are a graduate retaking the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) exam or participating in a clinical attachment.

You will be needed to provide written confirmation from the General Medical Council that you are required to retake the PLAB exam.

For this purpose, a six-month extension is available.

In addition, after passing the PLAB exam, you can petition to extend your stay in order to complete an unpaid clinical attachment or dentistry observer position.

If you apply for this extension, you can stay up to 18 months in the United Kingdom.  You will be asked to produce written confirmation of your clinical attachment offer and evidence that you have not already completed a clinical attachment in the UK.

A condition of such an extension would be that you refrain from treating patients.Human rights grounds are the only grounds for appealing a UK Standard Visitor Visa denial (if applicable).