Some standard UK visa requirements for all applicants must be met. These requirements differ according to the type of visa and the applicant’s nationality. Generally, you must provide proof of your confirmed travel tickets & accommodation in the UK, along with financial statements showing you have enough to support yourself during your stay. Other supporting documents include:

  • Travel document (passport)

You must present a valid passport or another acceptable travel document when applying for a visa or entering the UK.

Some passport holders may be required to provide additional proof of identity and nationality. Visa applicants must have at least one blank page in their passports.

  • Demonstrating personal circumstances

If you plan to visit the UK, you must demonstrate that you are a genuine visitor. You are coming to the country for an allowed activity. That you will leave after your stay and that you have sufficient finances to cover all reasonable costs associated with your visit. It is recommended that you provide details about your situation in your home country and the activity you intend to pursue in the UK.

The following is information about the types of supporting documents you may wish to submit with your application. This list is incomplete.

  • If you are traveling to the UK to do activities related to your employment or study outside the UK (for example, attending business meetings, performing as a musician, or participating in an educational exchange), you may need to provide documents outlining.
  • What you will be undertaking in the UK, the purpose of your visit, and whether your travel and stay costs will be covered, including any letters from inviting or sending organizations.
  • Your circumstances in your home country, including any documents that demonstrate your employment or study status, these must demonstrate that you have access to the funds, including bank statements and building society records.
  • Evidence of income, such as a letter from the employer confirming employment information (start date of employment, salary, role, company contact details).
  • If you are a child: (under 18)

You must present a legal document establishing your relationship with at least one of your parents or guardians, such as a birth certificate or adoption papers.

If they are not also applying for a visa, you must provide a copy of the photo information page of at least one parent or guardian’s passport.

If this is impossible, you must submit an alternative official document bearing their signature. If you are not traveling with your parent or legal guardian, you must:

  • Provide additional proof that your parent or legal guardian is aware of your travel plans and has permitted you to enter the United Kingdom.
  • Provide a signed letter from your parent or guardian confirming their permission for your travel arrangements and details of any person traveling with you and who will look after you while you are in the UK.
  • If you have a sponsor.

If someone else (your sponsor) is paying for your travel, maintenance, or accommodation, you must provide evidence of the following:

  • What support is being provided, how it is being provided, and whether it includes any family members.
  • The relationship between you and the sponsor (for example, if they’re a family member or an employer).
  • Evidence that the person supporting you is legally in the UK (if applicable).
  • Visiting for training, research, or compensated activities.

Scholars coming to conduct research (12-month visa)

You should demonstrate that you are highly qualified and employed at a college or university. For instance, you could provide the following:

  • A letter from your employer detailing the duration of your sabbatical, exchange, or research to be conducted.
  • A letter from the UK host organization confirming the arrangements for your research or exchange.

If you’re bringing family members to the UK, you should determine if they require a tuberculosis test.

Performers at one or more festivals not requiring permits

You can provide a letter of invitation from each event’s organizers, including the dates of your performances and payment information.

Tests administered by the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) and Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE).

You will be required to provide a letter from the Nursing and Midwifery Council or General Medical Council confirming that you passed the exam.

Work-related education: unpaid clinical attachments and dental observer positions.

You must provide evidence that you have been offered a clinical attachment or dental observer position, that it does not involve patient treatment, and that you have not previously engaged in this activity in the UK.

Permitted Paid Work

You must submit an invitation letter from a relevant UK-based organization, such as:

  • A Higher Education institution.
  • An organization in the creative arts or entertainment industries.
  • A sports organization, agent, or broadcaster.
  • A research organization.
  • An aviation training organization regulated by the UK Civil Aviation Authority.
  • A letter from your client, if you are a lawyer.

Depending on the engagement, you must provide evidence of your professional standing in your home country or expertise.

Lecturers or examiners

You can provide the following:

  • The details of your publications in your field of expertise.
  • The dates and times of any lectures you’ve given in your field of expertise.
  • A letter from your employer verifying where you work and your field of expertise.

Performers/Artists/Sports Figures

  • Dates and times of performances, screenings, concerts, readings, and exhibitions.

Air pilot examiners

You must provide proof that an authorized training organization has invited you. They must be based in the United Kingdom and governed by the UK Civil Aviation Authority.

Legal Professionals

You are required to provide proof that you are a qualified attorney, such as a certificate of practice or an equivalent document.

You must also provide evidence that you have been invited to represent a client in a British court, such as confirmation of your right to the audience or a ‘temporary call’ (where required).

  • Visiting for personal medical care

Private Medical Treatment

You are required to provide a letter from a doctor or consultant that includes the following:

  • A description of the condition requiring consultation or treatment.
  • An estimate of the duration and cost of any treatment.
  • Information on the location of the consultation or treatment.

Check if a tuberculosis test (TB) is required if you are applying for an 11-month visa. If you are required to extend your stay in the UK to receive private medical treatment, you must provide the following:

  • A letter from a licensed physician describing your medical condition.
  • Proof that you’ve paid for the treatment you have already had.

Organ donors

You will need to provide a letter from a GMC-registered specialist or the lead nurse of the transplant team confirming the following:

  • You’re a verified match to the recipient, or you are being tested to determine whether you are.
  • Where and when the transplant or tests will take place.

You must provide evidence that the recipient is authorized to reside in the UK. You must provide the recipient’s name, nationality, and date of birth if they are not a UK legal resident and are applying for a visa.

Visiting for your wedding or civil union

You must provide evidence that you intend to marry, give notice or form a civil partnership, such as confirmation of your appointment with the registrar. If you have been previously married or in a civil partnership, you must provide proof that you are free to marry or form another civil partnership.

  • Transiting through the UK
  • Your departure from the UK has been confirmed and will occur within 48 hours of your arrival, such as a travel booking confirmation.
  • You can enter the destination country, such as a valid visa or residence permit.

You will also have to provide previous visa details and a Criminal record check (CRB), also known as  BDS (Disclosure and Barring Service) Checks.

Visa Applicationsinformation centre

Copyright © 2024 . All rights reserved.

All visa applicants are responsible for the accuracy of their visa application forms and must carefully consider the requirements set out in the visa application forms and complete all application forms fully and truthfully. is a private company and is not affiliated with any government body. All support and advice of your visa documentation will be under the guidance of an SRA registered legal practitioner. Visa fees must be paid directly to the relevant consular authority as advised and are not included in our service fees.
Visa Applications Ltd – 11887108.

It is necessary to use/accept cookies on this site to process your application.

NOTE, we do not use tracking or advertising cookies or provide your details to 3rd parties. For more information please refer to our .