Students from outside the UK are needed to have a student visa in order to enter the country. The amount of time you are allowed to stay in the UK on a student visa might change depending on many things, such as the kind of visa you have and the length of your course. 

(General) Student Sisa

You should apply for and receive a standard Student Visa if you plan to continue your education for longer than six months. The amount of time you are allowed to stay in the UK on this visa will be decided by the length of your study program and the type of educational setting you will be going into, either a higher education or a further education institution. The course length plus an extra four months is the average time you can stay in the country on a Tier 4 visa for higher education students. The length of your course plus one additional month is the average amount of time you can take off when participating in further education. 

Short-term Study Visa

If you plan to join a course that will last for six months or less, you may be approved for a Short-term study visa. The time you can stay in the UK on this visa will depend on the course length, but it is usually 6 months or less. 


If you intend to bring immediate family members (such as a spouse, partner, or children) with you to the UK, those people can stay in the country for the same time as you are allowed. 

In summary, the length of time you are allowed to stay in the UK on a student visa is determined by the type of visa you have and the duration of the program you are taking. If you have already been in school for over six months, you must apply for a (General) Student visa. If you bring relatives to the UK, they will be permitted to stay in the country for the same amount of time you are.

Start your Visa ApplicationStart your Visa Application
Visa Applicationsinformation centre

Copyright © 2023 . All rights reserved.

All visa applicants are responsible for the accuracy of their visa application forms and must carefully consider the requirements set out in the visa application forms and complete all application forms fully and truthfully and provide correct and accurate information and documentation in support of their visa. is a private company and is not affiliated with any government body. All processing of your visa documentation will be carried out by a professionally qualified 3rd party legal entity. Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited. Visa Applications Ltd – 11887108.

It is necessary to use/accept cookies on this site to process your application.

NOTE, we do not use tracking or advertising cookies or provide your details to 3rd parties. For more information please refer to our .