M1 Visa

M1 Visa

M1 Visa Services
For applicants travelling to the United States to study on a vocational course.

The M1 Visa is for students who desire to come to the United States to pursue vocational education. Mechanical lessons, cosmetology training, and cooking classes are some of the activities people can do while on the M1 Visa. Find out more about the M1 Visa’s requirements and application process.

What is an M1 Visa?

The M1 Visa is a study permit intended for students enrolling in vocational studies. This consists of flight schools, professional schools, cooking classes, and other non-academic programs.

This permit cannot be used to enrol in academic courses. To accomplish this, you must apply for an F1 Student Visa. Conversely, if you wish to enrol in a short course of study for recreational purposes, a Visitor B Visa may be more appropriate.

Click below to view some other USA visa types

M1 Visa Requirements

Since there is no annual limit on the amount of M1 visas awarded, you need simply satisfy the established standards to have your application accepted. The eligibility requirements are:

  • Acceptance at a SEVP-approved institution
  • Before beginning your studies, you must pay the total price of the programme.
  • Possess sufficient English skills to pursue your vocational classes. You can demonstrate your English skill by taking a standardised examination, such as the TOEFL or the IELTS.
  • Have a non-immigrant intent. This indicates that you are required to return to your native country upon completion of your study. In other words, you must provide evidence of a permanent overseas address or familial links to demonstrate significant relationships.
  • Have the means to support yourself financially. To verify your financial standing, you must provide documentation such as bank account statements.

Documents Required For an M1 Visa

In addition to your M1 Visa application forms, you must submit several additional documents. These are intended to support your claim and demonstrate your purpose. The following should be included in your portfolio:

A passport that is valid for at least six months after the visa's expiration date

Documentation of your current educational credentials. This covers degrees and certifications.

Evidence of your English language competence, such as test scores

Bank statements, tax returns, and other evidence of financial soundness are required.

Processing Time

Typically, your M1 visa is processed before your interview. This means that you will likely receive a response immediately after your interview.

The minimum processing time for an M1 visa is typically four weeks. Therefore, it is recommended to submit your application in consideration of the date your classes will begin.

How Long Is an M1 Visa Valid For?

In general, you may be granted a visa for the duration of your entire academic program. However, your Form I-120 is valid for only one year.

If you wish to extend your stay in the United States, you must renew your visa annually. Your petition and Form I-120 may be extended for a maximum of three years.

Differences Between an M1 Visa and an F1 Visa?

Although both the M1 and F1 permits are classified as Student Visas, they have distinct qualities.

F1 Visas are for students who wish to enrol in a degree or academic programme at one of the SEVIS-accredited schools or colleges. Students in the U.S. on this visa are permitted to switch schools at any time during the term of their study.

On the other hand, the M1 Visa may only be utilised to enrol in a vocational or non-academic course. Included in this area are mechanical, technical, and linguistic studies. Unless unusual circumstances exist, you cannot lower your course load below full time to preserve your M1 status.

Importantly, F1 Visa holders are permitted to work off-campus and full-time. While you can still apply for an M1 Visa Work Permit, you can only find employment on campus if you are in this status.

For detailed information on specific parts of the USA visa process, you can refer to the links to the right to find the answer to your query. If you are unable to find any particular information, please contact us via email.

What visa do my family need to come with me?

Although your family is ineligible for an F2 Dependents Visa, your close relatives may accompany you to the United States while you pursue your vocational training. To join you, however, only your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 may apply for an M2 visa.

Your family will be permitted to remain in the United States for the term of your study. When their visa expires, they must immediately return to their native country. It should also be noted that your family are not permitted to study or work in the United States. However, adults may still participate in leisure classes, and children may be admitted to primary or secondary schools.

People Also Asked...

The Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) offers a list of vocational institutions that accept M1 Visa applicants. After approval, you will be added to the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Then, you’ll obtain Form I-120, the Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status.

While in the United States on an M1 visa, you are permitted to pursue vocational studies full-time. You could also:

  • Establish a bank account; Change schools (but only within the first six months of your program);
  • Get a driving license;
  • Apply for a M1 Visa Work Permit and acquire employment.

Note that you are unable to enrol in language courses with a M1 Visa. If you wish to enrol in a wider variety of schools and courses, you must obtain an F1 visa.

Visa Applicationsinformation centre

Copyright © 2024 . All rights reserved.

All visa applicants are responsible for the accuracy of their visa application forms and must carefully consider the requirements set out in the visa application forms and complete all application forms fully and truthfully. Visa-Applications.org is a private company and is not affiliated with any government body. All support and advice of your visa documentation will be under the guidance of an SRA registered legal practitioner. Visa fees must be paid directly to the relevant consular authority as advised and are not included in our service fees.
Visa Applications Ltd – 11887108.

It is necessary to use/accept cookies on this site to process your application.

NOTE, we do not use tracking or advertising cookies or provide your details to 3rd parties. For more information please refer to our .