A French Visa for Medical Treatment is valid for no more than ninety days within six months. If you require longer-term medical treatment in the Schengen zone, you should apply for a National Visa for Medical Treatment with Long Stay. The following additional documents are necessary when applying for a visa to receive medical treatment in France:
- In addition to the Basic Requirements for a French Visa Application, the following are necessary to apply for a Medical Visa: (Note that the required forms differ depending on whether you are the patient or the escort.)
If you are the PATIENT:
- A recent medical report.
- An appointment letter from the hospital/clinic/doctor from whom you anticipate receiving treatment.
This form requires a signature or a postmark.
- Specify how you intend to pay for medical care (i.e. whether there is a deposit or fee payable on arrival).
If you are the ESCORT for the patient:
- A cover letter introducing the escort and outlining the nature of your relationship with the patient (the letter must include the full name of both escort and patient).
- Letter of appointment for the patient’s therapy (you should preferably include the full name of the escort).
- Evidence of coverage for travel-related expenses as an escort, including where you will stay and how you will pay for it, Etc.
Who is eligible to apply for a medical visa in France?
Nationals of a third country prohibited from visa-free access or visas upon arrival in the Schengen area who have a reasonable, valid, and documented basis for seeking medical care in the Schengen area are eligible to apply for a French Visa for Medical Reasons.
Procedure for French medical visa applications
- You must apply for the French Visa for Medical Reasons at the French consulate; choose “Medical Reasons” as your reason for travel.
- Determine the required quantity of “Entries” for France.
- Accumulate both the Basic Required Documents and the Medical Visa Documents.
- Fill out your application online.
- Arrange a date and time for the interview to submit your documents.
When to apply
You must submit your application for a French Visa for Medical Reasons at least 15 days and no more than 6 months before departure.
Places to apply
- You must apply for a Medical Visa through the French embassy, consulate, or affiliated Visa Application Center.
- If you are traveling to multiple Schengen countries, you must apply for your visa at the embassy, consulate, or Visa Application Center of the country where you will spend the most time. Moreover, if you plan to spend an equal amount of time in each country, you must submit your application to the embassy, consulate, or Visa Application Center of the country where you will arrive first.
Visa processing time for French medical Visa
The average Schengen medical visa processing time is two weeks (15 days). Rarely, it can take between 30 and 60 days for a consulate to make a judgement on an application.