To go to Europe, do I need a Schengen visa?

You can take a look at the full list of countries whos need a Schengen visa to enter Europe here.

For airport transit which countries citizens require a Schengen visa?

There are a handful of countries whose citizens need an airport transit visa so they can change planes at a Schengen Area airport. The following list is a list of countries within the Schengen Area that require an airport transit visa:

  • Afghanistan
  • Bangladesh
  • The Democratic Republic of Congo (Drc)
  • Eritrea
  • Ethiopia
  • Ghana
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Nigeria
  • Pakistan
  • Somalia
  • Sri Lanka

However, there are a few exceptions to the airport transit visa for particular people. Nationals of the above-mentioned countries do not need to get an airport transit visa if the following conditions are met:

  • For example, if the person has a resident permit from a Schengen country and has a valid Schengen Visa for short or long stays.
  • For instance, if the person has a residency permit from a country like Andorra, Canada, Japan, San Marino, or the United States and their whereabouts stay guaranteed.
  • When the person has a valid Schengen visa or valid visa for one of the EFTA nations, as well as Canada, Japan, or the United States, even if they are returning from those countries.
  • If the person is a member of an EU citizens family.
  • When the visitor has a diplomatic passport.

What happens if I don’t need a Schengen visa?

Citizens of countries that do not require a visa to enter the Schengen zone are not permitted to stay in the destination for an extended period of time without other legal authority.

Regardless of the reason for travel, the number of days allowed to remain in any of the Schengen zone nations cannot exceed 90 days.  Three months every half-year. You should also note that having a Schengen visa allows you to enter and stay in a Schengen country for a set period of time, but it does not allow you to work or study there.

If you are a family member of an EU/EEA national. You may not be exempt from obtaining a visa to enter the Schengen zone. It simply means the visa application process will be simplified and expedited. However, you must meet specific requirements, such as:

  • You must be a first-degree relative of an EU/EEA citizen (husband or child under 21 years old).
  • You must be accompanied by an EU/EEA citizen at the journey destination or dwelling country inside the Schengen Area and provide proof of this.

The visa requirements for persons with multiple nationalities vary depending on the passport they choose to travel with. Even if you hold a passport from one of the Schengen member nations, but are unwilling to use it for any reason, if you choose to travel with a passport from a nationality that requires a mandatory visa, you will be required to obtain one.

If you have a D visa, which allows you to not only enter, but also live in the Schengen region for a set amount of time. If you have a residency permit from that nation, you are entitled to visit any Schengen countries within the 90-day period every six months.

Visa Applicationsinformation centre

Copyright © 2024 . All rights reserved.

All visa applicants are responsible for the accuracy of their visa application forms and must carefully consider the requirements set out in the visa application forms and complete all application forms fully and truthfully. is a private company and is not affiliated with any government body. All support and advice of your visa documentation will be under the guidance of an SRA registered legal practitioner. Visa fees must be paid directly to the relevant consular authority as advised and are not included in our service fees.
Visa Applications Ltd – 11887108.

It is necessary to use/accept cookies on this site to process your application.

NOTE, we do not use tracking or advertising cookies or provide your details to 3rd parties. For more information please refer to our .