Heriot-Watt University is a public research university located in Edinburgh, Scotland, UK. It was founded in 1821 as the Edinburgh School of Arts and was granted its royal charter in 1966. Heriot-Watt is a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities, the European University Association, and Universities UK.
Heriot-Watt is a popular choice for international students, with over 33% of its student body coming from outside the UK.
Heriot-Watt is also known for its strong links to industry, with many of its programmes offering work placements and internships. The university is also home to a number of research centres, which provide students with the opportunity to get involved in cutting-edge research.
What types of programmes are available to study at Heriot-Watt University?
Heriot-Watt University offers a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in a variety of subjects. Some of the most popular programmes include:
- Accounting and finance
- Business administration
- Civil engineering
- Computer science
- Data science
- Electrical engineering
- Mechanical engineering
- Petroleum engineering
You can find a full list of programmes offered by Heriot-Watt University on the university website.
Helpful Information For Studying Abroad at Heriot-Watt University
If you are an international student considering studying at Heriot-Watt University, there are a few things you need to know:
- Visa requirements: You will need to apply for a student visa to study in the UK. You can find more information about visa requirements on the UK government website.
- Entry requirements: Entry requirements vary depending on the programme you are applying for. You can find more information about entry requirements on the Heriot-Watt University website.
- Funding: There are a number of scholarships and bursaries available to international students studying at Heriot-Watt University. You can find more information about funding on the Heriot-Watt University website.
- Accommodation: Heriot-Watt University offers a variety of accommodation options for international students. You can find more information about accommodation on the Heriot-Watt University website.
- Support services: Heriot-Watt University offers a range of support services to international students, including immigration advice, academic support, and personal support. You can find more information about support services on the Heriot-Watt University website.
Culture & Events in Edinburgh
Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland and is a vibrant and cosmopolitan city. It is home to a number of world-class museums, galleries, and theatres. Edinburgh is also known for its many festivals, including the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, the Edinburgh International Festival, and the Edinburgh Military Tattoo.
Here are some of the most popular cultural attractions in Edinburgh:
- Edinburgh Castle
- National Museum of Scotland
- Palace of Holyroodhouse
- Royal Mile
- Scottish National Gallery
- Scottish National Portrait Gallery
- Arthur’s Seat
- Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Zoo
How to apply to study at Heriot-Watt University as an international student
1. Choose a programme
Visit the Heriot-Watt University website and browse the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes available. Once you have found a programme that you are interested in, you can read more about the entry requirements and how to apply.
2. Check your eligibility
Make sure that you meet the entry requirements for the programme you are interested in. You can find this information on the programme page on the university website.
3. Submit an online application
To apply to study at Heriot-Watt University, you will need to submit an online application. You can do this through the UCAS website for undergraduate programmes and directly to the Heriot-Watt University website for postgraduate programmes. You will need to provide your personal details, academic qualifications, and a personal statement. You may also need to submit additional documents, such as a portfolio or letters of recommendation.
4. Pay the application fee
The application fee for international students is £50 for undergraduate programmes and £60 for postgraduate programmes. You can pay the application fee online using a credit or debit card.
5. Attend an interview
If you are shortlisted for the programme you have applied to, you may be invited to attend an interview. The interview may be conducted online or in person, depending on your circumstances.
6. Accept your offer
If you are offered a place at Heriot-Watt University, you will need to accept your offer within the deadline specified.
Visa application process
Once you have accepted your offer to study at Heriot-Watt University, you will need to apply for a student visa. This is done online via the UK government website and Visa-Applications.org can assist you with this process.
To apply for a student visa, you will need to provide the following documents:
- A valid passport
- A completed visa application form
- A letter of acceptance from Heriot-Watt University
- Proof of financial support
- Evidence of English language proficiency
- A biometric scan of your fingerprints and photograph
The visa application process can take several weeks, so it is important to start your application early.