If you’re curious about sponsoring your parents, you are in the right place. Many people worry if they must reside in the US to sponsor their parents. This post will look at the answer to that question and provide you some extra details that might be useful. 

Do You Need To Be A US Citizen To Be A Sponsor?

Let’s start by discussing if being a US citizen is required to sponsor your parents. No, you are not required to be a citizen of the United States to sponsor your parents for a green card. But to do so, you must hold a green card, which is a legal permanent resident. 

Second, even if you currently do not reside in the United States but have a green card, you can still apply to sponsor your parents for a green card. You must, however, show proof that you intend to move back in with your parents once they get here. 

Lastly, you must satisfy conditions before applying to sponsor your parents for a green card. You must be 21 years old at least, in good financial standing, and able to show documentation of your parental relationship. 

How would you go about getting your parents a green card?

You must take a few steps when you are prepared to start sponsoring your parents for a green card. They consist of going to a US immigration officer interview, supporting your parents financially, and completing an immigrant petition for them. 

What is the duration of the procedure?

Finishing sponsoring your parents for a green card can take a while. However, it often requires 12 to 18 months. 

Do you have to pay anything to sponsor your parents?

There are costs involved with applying for a green card on your parents’ behalf. There is a filing fee for the immigration petition and additional costs for things like the biometrics appointment and the medical test. 

To conclude, you are not required to live in the United States to sponsor your parents for a green card. Even if you don’t currently reside in the US, you can still sponsor your parents with a green card. You must, however, meet a few standards, and there are costs involved in the procedure. 


If I’m not a citizen of the United States, may I sponsor my parents?

You cannot sponsor your parents without a green card.

Start your Visa ApplicationStart your Visa Application
Visa Applicationsinformation centre

Copyright © 2024 . All rights reserved.

All visa applicants are responsible for the accuracy of their visa application forms and must carefully consider the requirements set out in the visa application forms and complete all application forms fully and truthfully. Visa-Applications.org is a private company and is not affiliated with any government body. All support and advice of your visa documentation will be under the guidance of an SRA registered legal practitioner. Visa fees must be paid directly to the relevant consular authority as advised and are not included in our service fees.
Visa Applications Ltd – 11887108.

It is necessary to use/accept cookies on this site to process your application.

NOTE, we do not use tracking or advertising cookies or provide your details to 3rd parties. For more information please refer to our .