Tier 4 Study Visas

If you wish to study in the UK you will need to apply for a Tier 4 visa under the PBS (points based system). As with all tiers there are sub-tiers. Each sub-tier has different criteria, you must make sure that you apply for the correct visa based on your circumstances.

Tier 4 General Student Visa

A Tier 4 general student visa is applicable to students over the age of 16 years old and you must meet the qualifying criteria.

You must have received a conditional offer from an educational institution, the institution must hold a Tier 4 sponsor licence.

You must be able to prove that you have enough money to pay for education and living costs. You may be eligible for student finance however grants for living costs are not typically offered to those outside of the EEA and Switzerland.</span

You must also be able to demonstrate a suitable capability for reading, writing and understanding the English language and you may need to pass a test.

Upon being a granted a general student visa, if you are studying in the UK for longer than 6 months you will be permitted to arrive in the UK a month before your course starts.

Tier 4 Child Student Visa

The criteria for this visa is different than the adult student visa. This visa is applicable to children between the ages of 4 and 17. The visa should be applied for by the minor’s parent or guardian. The child student must have been offered a place at an educational institute that holds a Tier 4 sponsor licence

A child student may stay in the UK with a UK based carer rather than their parent however the carer must be able to prove they have a minimum of £560 per month available to provide for the child’s needs. If a parent is to accompany the child to the UK during their studies the parent must be able to prove that they have a minimum of £1,535.00 available per month to support both of their needs.

Short-Term Study Visa

This type of visa is available to individuals who only wish to study in the UK for a short period of time. If granted this visa is valid for up to 11 months. There are only certain individuals that are eligible for this visa for example; if you are wishing to study an English language course. If you are completing a degree overseas you may also be eligible for a short-term study visa if as part of your degree, you wish to come to the UK for research purposes.


Copyright © 2022 . All rights reserved.

All visa applicants are responsible for the accuracy of their Visa Applications forms and must carefully consider the requirements set out in the visa application forms and complete all application forms fully and truthfully and provide correct and accurate information and documentation in support of their visa. Visa-Applications.org is a private company and is not affiliated with any government body. All processing of your visa will be carried out by a professionally qualified 3rd party legal entity. Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited. Digital Litigation Ltd – 11887108.

UK VisasUSA VisasSchengen VisasThai Visas