Visa Waiver Program (ESTA)
The visa waiver program, also known as an ESTA (Electronic System For Travel Authorisation) is a document that allows an individual to travel without the need for a ‘full visa’.
You can apply for an ESTA if you are a citizen of a country that is a recognised member of the waiver program, find the full list here.
There are other criteria that you must fulfil to be eligible for an ESTA:
- You must hold a valid passport from a country that is part of the programme.
- You must not be planning on working or studying during your time in the USA.
- You cannot stay longer than 90 days at a time.
- You must not have been refused a visa previously.
- You must not have a criminal record for serious crimes.
- You must not have recently travelled to Iraq, Iran, Syria, Yemen, Libya or Somalia.
- You must not have had recent contact with cholera, diphtheria, TB, plague, smallpox, yellow fever or any Ebola type illness or severe respiratory infection.
- You must not be suffering from uncontrolled mental illness.
- You must not have previously overstayed on any previous visas.
Completing the application for an ESTA should be done so with care as any incorrect answers may lead to a ‘Travel Not Authorised’ decision meaning that you will not be allowed to travel without obtaining a full tourism visa, if you have any questions you can speak with our team here at Visa Applications.