To visit the UK for up to 6 months, you should apply for a Standard Visitor visa. Consider the following scenario:
- For a vacation or to visit family and friends
- Or a business trip or meeting
- Maybe a short study course
- If you wish to visit the UK to be married or register a civil partnership, you must apply for a Marriage Visitor visa.
- Working in the UK if you have a visiting visa.
Application for a UK Visa provides the successful applicant with a document that allows people from all over the world to enter, stay temporarily, or live permanently in the United Kingdom.
A visa is typically a stamp in your passport or document issued by a British consulate or embassy in your home country. The earliest you can apply for a UK visa is three months prior to your anticipated visit date. However, keep in mind that your visa application could take up to three weeks to process. Apply ahead of time to ensure that the consulate has adequate time to complete your visa.
Application for a UK Visa to study, work, visit, or join family in the UK. You may need a visa.
There are many types of visas available to you depending on:
- Where you were born
- Why do you wish to visit the United Kingdom?
- How long do you intend to stay?
- Your unique situation and abilities
The length, type, and location of your course all influence which visa you should apply for.
- A Standard Visitor visa allows you to participate in a 6-month short term of study.
- A short-term study visa allows you to travel to the UK for a language programme that lasts between 6 and 11 months.
- A student visa is often for a longer period of time. You must be sponsored by and have a confirmed place at a licensed college or university. On this visa, you could be able to work.
- A Child Student Visa is for children aged 4 to 17 who want to attend a private school. You can work on this visa if you’re 16 or older.